Lochinver talk: From Piazzi Smyth to Scottish Spaceport
30 June 2019 @ 7:00 am - 9:30 pm BST
On June 30th, at Lochinver Village Hall, Lochinver, Matjaz Vidmar is giving the third of a series of exciting talks that joins the past to the future. His talk has the fascinating title
From Charles Piazzi Smyth to Scottish Spaceport: 200 years of reaching for the stars
As the hero of mountaintop astronomy, Piazzi Smyth would have been excited about the idea of going one better by getting above the atmosphere entirely, and especially about Scotland playing a key role! The featured image shows an artist’s impression of a launcher built by Scottish company Orbex, launching from the planned spaceport in Sutherland. You can read more about the plans for a Scottish Spaceport, and Scotlands place in the space industry more generally, including the Orbex Launcher.
Matjaz is giving this talk at three locations:
- June 25th: Portree Library, Skye.
- June 27th: An Lanntair, Stornoway.
- June 30th: Lochinver Hall, Lochinver.
These talks are part of a North West Highlands Space and Astronomy Tour being carried out by Matjaz. The other talks he is giving are::
- June 17th: Universal Signals: Outer Space, (Tele)communication and Scotland, Museum of Communication, Burntisland.
- June 26th: A Sign-posted Guide to Astronomy and Space Exploration in 8 Technologies, Tarbert Library.
- July 1st: A Sign-posted Guide to Astronomy and Space Exploration in 8 Technologies, High Life Highland Ferrycroft Visitor Centre, Lairg.
- July 2nd: The Scottish Space Industry and Future of Spaceports, Highlands Astronomical Society, Inverness.